Tackling training in isolation
The season has been postponed and training with your team is off the cards. This doesn’t mean training needs to stop. Yes, it may be a little harder to push yourself without the support of your team but those teams training in these unprecedented times are the ones coming out on top with the flag.
If you are stuck for ideas on how to train, Check out these drills to help maintain fitness:
- 1 x lap of the oval jogging
- 2 x 10m high knees
- 2 x 10m bottom kicks
- 2 x 10m karaoke
- 2 x 10m side to side
- 1 x 10m around the world
- 1 x 10m dead bug crawls.
- 2 x 5m single leg hops
- 1: 2x 1 lap -complete in <2min 10sec (900m)
- (3min rest)
- 2: 3 x 5 x 60m (900m)
- Set 1: up to 18s
- Set 2: up to 16s
- Set 3: up to 14s
- Run on 30s / rest 2mins between sets
- 3: 2 x 5min fartlek
- Walk 10s, Slow Jog 40s, Slightly quicker 20s (x5)
Cones are set 5m apart
- Start on the baseline with fast feet
- Sprint to cone 2 on the sound of a whistle
- By the time you reach cone 2 your coach or teammate will call out RIGHT or LEFT
- Shuffle towards the correct cone, and then shuffle back in the opposing direction.
Cones are set 5m apart.
- Start on the cone in the middle of the start.
- Sprint forwards towards the cone. Touch the cone with a hand, proceed backwards running until you touch the middle cone.
- Continue for cones 2, 3 and 4.
- Finish by sprinting towards cone 5.
Hurdles-High Knee Bounds - Sprint - Decelerate
Set up 3-4 hurdles .5m apart, followed by 4 cones in a diagonal pattern. A cone 10m from the last cone and a final cone another 5m away.
- Start at the hurdles. Perform quick feet over the hurdles, followed by high knee bounds at each of the diagonal cones.
- Quickly sprint to the following cone.
- Once past decelerate quickly, keeping your feet under your centre of gravity.
- Repeat 4-5 times with 3min rest in between.
Ladder - Marking - Deceleration Drill
Set up one ladder. Place a set of cones 10m from the end of the ladder. Add a second set of cones 10m from those cones and a third set 5m from those cones.
- Perform quick feet through the ladder.
- Sprint to the first set of cones
- Mark the football in between the second set of cones
- Decelerate, keeping your feet under your centre of gravity
- Repeat 4-5times
1 X lap jog around the oval