Paediatric Foot Care Essendon & Blackburn
Melbourne Podiatry Clinic based in Essendon & Blackburn provide quality paediatric care to residents throughout Melbourne including Strathmore, Essendon, Blackburn, Box Hill, Mitcham, Brunswick West & Forest Hill.
Children’s feet are very different to adult feet and need to be treated this way. When a child is born their foot is predominantly cartilaginous being very flexible and supple. This can predispose them to abnormal stress on bones and tissues that easily lead to deformity. If your family has a history of foot issues or you have any concerns it is important to have your child’s feet, lower leg and gait assessed by a podiatrist. Often it is simply a case of monitoring the concern and implementing an intervention strategy when it becomes problematic. However, some foot and leg problems if treated early can prevent complications later in life.
- Inspect your child’s feet regularly. If you notice something that concerns you then seek a podiatrist’s opinion.
- Regularly check your child’s shoes, socks or clothing to allow plenty of room for growth.
- Allow free movement of feet and legs to allow kicking and bending in preparation for walking.
- Observe your child walking. If you notice any in-toeing, toe-walking or knocked knees it is important these are assessed early to improve your child’s prognosis.
- If your child is in pain or limping, falls over frequently, avoids activity or suffers from fatigue it may be a sign of developmental problems and lower limb complications.
If you have any concerns with your child’s development and function, Melbourne Podiatry Clinic will provide a thorough assessment and lower limb examination to detect the underlying cause that may require intervention and treatment.